Hello! I'm excited that you are interested in learning more about how the IFS model of psychotherapy interfaces with ancient Christian theology. Since I got trained in IFS with a group of like-minded Christians, it's been a blessing to share what I've learned over the past two decades and bring this model of healing to the Christian community. I pray these materials are a blessing to you and to those who cross your path. Learn More about my journey that informs this course.
- 5-hour video of presentation with the sections labeled by topic for easy topical reference
- Time stamped outline of the course to help you find certain sections more quickly
- Time stamped handouts so you know when to have certain handouts in front of you to accompany the teaching or exercise
- Handouts provided at the workshop so you can follow along and pause the recording to participate in the exercises List of Handouts
- Content from all of the presentation slides in handout format
- An audio version so you can listen in your car or while you exercise
*The IFS Institute does not offer CE's for certification for recorded workshops. This workshop provided 6 CE's for licensed clinicians and certified IFS therapists for those who attended the live event.
The first half of this course is introductory, beneficial to clients and the general public as well as professionals who are not familiar with IFS.
The second half is geared toward professionals (clinicians, coaches, spiritual directors, supervisors, etc.) wanting to learn some practical application on how to use this approach with those in their care.
The second half is also beneficial to anyone (clients & the general public) wanting to explore their own parts and learn how to have a different relationship with themselves through some easy to use ideas for personal parts work.
Part I: Introduction (2.5 hours)
1. What are parts?
2. Multiplicity & Relationship with Ourselves Genesis 1:26
Seeking inner harmony to better reflect the Image of God in your self.
- IFS is a wholistic approach of Spirit, Mind and Body
- Looking at Jung's personas to Beck's schema’s
4. IFS Insight Technique Session Demo of an Exile being Updated and Re-roled
5. Components of the IFS model through a Christian Anthropology
1. Self- The Imago Dei
- Self is not the Holy Spirit but does reflect the Holy Spirit
- Qualities of Self: 8 C’s, 5 P’s, & Fruits Galatians 5:22
- Growing and strengthening core-Self with Christian faith practices
- Holy Spirit Standing Meditation: Increasing access to qualities of core-Self and the fruit of the Holy Spirit
- Luke 14:28 gives an example of a self-led planner part
- Preemptive: Self-improvement task force
- Easily confused with the spiritual parts and self-like parts
- Common parts in Christians
- Hiding vulnerability with ‘fig leaves’ Genesis 3:7
- Ex. toxic hope, resentment & bitterness, unrealized desire, or unresolved grief
- A non-pathologizing perspective & the pitfall of symptom management
- Good Intentions Exercise: Appreciating parts without condoning their method of coping.
5. Healthy Parts/ Unburdened Parts
Part II: Going Deeper & Application (2.5 hours)
6. Burdens: Matthew 11:28-30
- Example: The burdened helper
- Extreme roles of parts: Spectrum perspective vs. dichotomous perspective
- Shame as a burden
- You are not alone. Psalm 23 & Hebrews 13:5
- Unburdening: Psalm 55:22
7. Some ways IFS doesn’t fit with Christian worldview and anthropology.
- Existential Meaning Making of Suffering/ Theology of Suffering
- Synergy: Participating where God is already at work
- Guided Imagery/Active Imagination
- Sin: Jesus has parts but not burdens
- Total Depravity
- Dependency vs. Self-sufficiency
See more of these that are not covered in this course.
8. Four Fundamental Skills
- Detecting Parts & Burdens II Corinthians 10:5
- Unblending: 9 creative questions
- Speaking for, not from parts
- Mapping /Cluster exercise
9. Family Therapy/Attachment Overview as it relates to IFS
- Pity, empathy, sympathy, & compassion
- Some pitfalls of over-identifying with clients' parts: Countertransference
10. The Immanuel Approach Exercise: Inviting God into a mildly painful memory
Helping parts perceive God's presence and grow toward trust
11. Polarizations; Inner Conflict Romans 7:14
- Mapping polarization exercise
- Polarization case example
- Self-forgiveness: parts forgiving other parts
12. Clinical Thoughts: IFS Informed Talk Therapy
- Getting Started with parts work & IFS
- Getting to know a part without using the IFS Insight technique
13. Soul Care & Spiritual Formation Practices using IFS
Maintenance and Anchoring: Spirit-led Lifestyle
- Intentional Self-talk: 4 Steps
- Truth/Anchor Page
- Christian Meditation
- Praying for Parts from Self vs. only praying from parts for parts
- Jesus Prayer
- Notice, who is praying
- Examples of intercessory prayer for healing of thoughts and feelings
- Morning prayer for parts
- Write a prayer for a part of yourself exercise
5 Hour Video AND Audio with Slide Content and Handouts $100
ACCESSING YOUR PURCHASED MATERIALS
After you purchase the materials, you will be redirected to a new webpage with all of the materials. SAVE THIS LINK for future access.
If you wish to view the video recording off-line (not connected to the internet), there are multiple ways to save the YouTube video. We recommend that you research these various methods so you can choose the platform that best fits your technological needs and know-how. Additionally, you may want to download this content to a cloud storage or hard drive.
INTENTION OF USE
This video is intended for use by individuals who have paid for the right to view it and is for personal use only. If you would like to utilize any portion of this video for use with others for teaching or demonstration purposes, please email Julie Honeycutt for explicit, written consent. Permissions will be offered on a case-by-case basis.
The Christian IFS recording from the workshop held in Nashville, TN in January 2019 is available for personal use only. If you are interested in using these materials in part or in whole for teaching or demonstration purposes, please email Julie for written permission. *By purchasing this video, you have agreed not to share it or its contents in any form, in part or in whole.
© 2019 Julie Honeycutt